Lisbon at Christmas Time
- astounding art objects in the shape of 18 century exquisite cribs or Portuguese presépios to visit in a few of Lisbon's important churches this holiday season,
- to carved olive wood nativities brought from Bethlehem as seen in the image above, sold to support the Christians that live in this special town. Small hand made versions made with care & love can also be found to take home to add to the family Christmas collection.
- or collection pieces in solid silver destined to become family heirlooms and cherished for generations in the years to come.
- large modern 'film set' manger scenes examples appear in the street near churchs that intrestingly change as the Virgin Mary goes from highly pregant to proud new mother depending on the date.
- to oversized versions such as the one that completely takes over the main staircase in Lisbon's shopping mall for the rich & famous.
In Portugal, this good Catholic country, we are allowed to say "Happy Christmas" and not be tongue tied into the political correctness of 'happy holidays' as in the US & the UK. Lisbon is all the richer for it and while there maybe a smattering of Santas climing up the wrought iron verandas of the city, more Lisbon balconies proudly sport a baby Jesus flag flying from them.
This post was written by:
Mary H Goudie Lisbon Bloggerista, Tour Crafter & Event Designer Extraordinaire. This Scot on Loan to Portugal loves to share her experiences of her adopted home port of Lovely Lisbon by the Sea - where Europe meets the Atlantic.